A Councillor vacancy has arisen at West Mersea Town Council.
Do you have an interest in local issues such as amenities, planning and housing, anti-social behaviour and local government finances? Would you like to be involved in decision making at a local government level and helping to shape the future of our Town? If so then you may be interested in becoming a Town Councillor on West Mersea Town Council.
Whilst our councillors are usually elected at a public ballot every 4 years we do from time to time, where a vacancy occurs, need to co-opt onto the Council a new Councillor. The procedure is via a submission of a CV followed by a short interview with members of the Council.
Our Councillors are elected representatives that volunteer their time to work on behalf of their local community. The position is not linked to any political party. Their responsibilities include:
- To participate in overseeing and setting the budget, and establishing the policies and strategies of the Council.
- To ensure the Council is properly managed.
- To examine and comment on any planning applications.
- To keep up to date with developments affecting the Town Council at a local, regional, and national level.
- To attend and take part in Town Council meetings and be informed about the issues to be discussed.
- To work with community groups and outside agencies for the benefit of our residents and to provide and manage local amenities and recreational areas.
Councillors are required to attend a council meeting in the evening approx. every 3 weeks. There are also a number of committees which discuss and make decisions which affect the community and it would be desirable for all Councillors to take part in at least one or two of these. Our Council is very busy, diverse, proactive and enthusiastic, with a large population to serve and a number of projects underway, including a Neighbourhood Plan for West Mersea.
The role is challenging but also rewarding.
How to apply
If you are interested in becoming a Councillor please contact the office or one of our existing Councillors for more information and an informal chat (for contact details click here). If you wish to apply to become a Councillor then please send to, or drop into, the address below your CV and brief covering letter explaining why you would like to take this position and what experience and skills you could bring to the Council.
The Town Clerk, West Mersea Town Council, 10 Melrose Road, West Mersea, CO5 8JD.
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applicatons will be the 17th March. If no suitable candidate comes forward the post will be re-advertised.
Read more: CouncillorVacancy