Places of Worship
Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul
High Street, West Mersea, CO5 8QD.
Tel: 01206 385635
West Mersea Parish Church is believed to date back to the 7th century - the first church was built on Roman foundations; the fabric of the church contains Roman septaria, Roman bricks and tiles.
St Cedd's and St Gregory Roman Catholic Church
Barfield Road, West Mersea, CO5 8QT.
Tel: Tel: 01206 866317.
The Church was built in 1962.
The Old City Hall
The Lane, West Mersea, CO5 8NT.
Tel: 01206 382106
This tiny chapel was built in the 1920's on the site of an old pub called The Ship on the instructions of the Miss Plummers - Anna and Ruth of Seaview Avenue. In 1940 it was handed over to a group of local Christians.
West Mersea Assembly Hall
60 East Road, West Mersea, CO5 8HA.
Tel: 01206 381796
The Assembly Hall was founded by Mr Simon Callow (a builder from North London) with his son and Mr Charles Hearsum. The Assembly Hall opened in 1910.
The Children's Special Service Mission use the Assembly Hall as headquarters for the Mersea Beach Club. Website: beachclub
West Mersea Free Church
32 Mill Road, West Mersea, CO5 8RJ.
Tel: 01206 384772 or merseafree.church/about/contact/
Website - MerseaFreeChurch
West Mersea Methodist Church
Mill Road, West Mersea, CO5 8RH.
Tel: 01206 793888
This white brick and slate chapel was built in 1861 to accommodate 250 people. The Chapel has been completely refurbished with money raised from its' own members enthusiastic efforts. The Church Hall at the back is called the Shutes Hall.