More Interesting Bits About Mersea
Mersea Island is five miles long and two miles wide - it has a land mass of 2,683 acres.
Mersea faces south to the River Blackwater Estuary - east to the River Colne and north west to the Strood and Pyefleet Channel.
Mersea Island is the most easterly inhabited island in Britain.
At full moon and new moon high tides may cover the main causeway - when for a while Mersea becomes a true island.
Mersea has a dry climate with an average rainfall of 20 inches per year.
West Mersea has a population (per 2011 census) of 7,159 people - there are more women than men - 48% men and 52% women.
15% of residents do not have a car - 39% have two cars.
West Mersea has the highest percentage of over 75 year olds in the Colchester Borough area - but this is still well under a quarter of the population.
In 2000 - sixty seven people in Mersea were over the age of 90. Mersea residents are known for their longevity.
There are about one thousand boat moorings in the River and Creeks.
West Mersea has one of the largest Primary schools in Essex.
Mersea was connected to main sewage and mains water in 1924.
Electricity came to West Mersea in the mid 1930's but not to East Mersea until 1946.
Mains Gas did not arrive in Mersea until 1989.
Bradwell Power Station was built in 1962.
During WW2 there were about 2000 troops stationed on the island.
The Cricketing Mussetts - Mersea Cricket Club is allegedly one of the oldest established in the country. At one time the whole of the first team were Mussetts.
First Policeman - In 1844 Mersea's first policeman arrived on the island to take up his duties. His name was William Frances and he was 22 years old.
Before WW2 the prize for winning the 'Greasy Pole' Contest on Regatta Day was a live pig.
The first Mersea Regatta was held on the 28th July 1838 to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Victoria.